Sunday, July 13, 2008

Country Livin'

Since we chose to live quite a ways out of "town," the gas prices (yawn) have made us do a few things differently, like revive the old Honda and drive it instead of the huge full-size truck - we probably should be doing that anyway. But we have not considered moving closer. We love it! This is what we see as we turn our corner on the morning commute. (Don't tell me you can't see them, I didn't even come to a complete stop, just snapped a quick pic.) The same deer are around at dusk as well. We've also had foxes, racoons, ground hogs, and all manner of wild birds in our yard. We're gettin pretty good at bird calls and learning their manners as we watch them month after month.

HOWEVER, this is what we see IN THE MORNING IN MY BEDROOM before I leave for my morning commute. Mr. Lizard decided it was too hot to sleep outside, so he crawled in under my bedroom door. We have discussed the rainy-day worm invasion (see April post of "Worm Rescue"), but I really don't have that same special spot in my heart for lizards. Luckily, Tate is a fast catch and we relocated him quickly outside. I really need to seal that door up (meaning Chris).

And here we are with neighbor friends (12 miles away neighbors but that is close enough out here). Sam and friend taking a drive in the John Deere for fun. Yes, it was fun.

Tate and his buddy showing off the muscles. They are both about to turn 7 and they feel like men. Tate is in grey. Arrrrg!!
Finally, Sam Story:

The boys and I drove to church Wednesday night (we left my heathen husband at home taking a nap) and Sam fell asleep on the long, green, hilly drive. We got there a little after dinner had already started and it was raining. I had set my hair in curlers but since we are new at this church, I didnt' think I should walk IN with the curlers. Plus Tate told me not to. So I tried to reach around and shake Sam's knee to wake him up, but he was out cold. Tate jumped out and was running for the door, so I had to get out and stand in the rain, ruining my nice, poofy hair to unbuckle Sam and carry him in. Before his eyes were open, he lifted up his little index finger and pumped his thumb, and whispered: "pshew, pshew. gotcha." Then he fell back asleep. I was shot by my sleeping warrior! I laughed so hard I forgot all about my gorgeous hair, now stuck to my face. I love boys!

No comments: